Saturday, August 21, 2010

Alternatives to marriage in Ohio for opposite-sex couples?

I'm an agnostic feminist living in Ohio and I'm very much in love with my boyfriend. I am not comfortable with the institution of marriage and the way it treats women and the LBGT. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to marriage in Ohio (or any other states) for opposite-sex couples that would include the same basic benefits (medical stuff, insurance stuff, tax stuff) without the icky, patriarchal stuff.


If not we'll probably just re-design the traditional ceremony to be more feminist friendly. Too bad same sex couples can't do the same thing.Alternatives to marriage in Ohio for opposite-sex couples?
You understand that according to the state you are considered common law right? Look to see how long you need to be living together.





You also understand that if you separate it can be as ';icky'; and just as messy to part ways right?





If your happy with your current arrangement and you can claim common law, why bother going any further wtih an ';opposite sex'; celebration/ceremony.





If its the party you want, then share a few words between you and as guests to come as witnesses, I sort of think your view on the whole marriage thing is very unusually considering your searching for the exact same type of thing, just the name to be different.





You also dont have to change your last name when your married, being married doenst mean you now are the sole housekeeper and there are many benefits to being a married woman (including the benefit of calling one another husband and wife).Alternatives to marriage in Ohio for opposite-sex couples?
California has domestic partnerships - which were supposed to 'pacify' the same-sex community. it really does not provide ALL the benefits of legal marriage. I've been reading now about opposite sex couples that want the benfits without having to be legally married.... which to me says they have a choice as to whether they marry or not. It was such an honor for me to perform my sister's wedding ceremony (I'm ';straight'; but genetically defective, and that's okay with society)





I don't know if Ohio has domestic partnerships or not.


If you want help re-designing the ceremony send me a private message - maybe I can help you find some elements that will help balance the scales..
Huh???





You can make up your own ceremony any way you want. The only way to get the benefits (medical, insurance, etc.) is to get legally married. HOW you go about getting legally married is totally up to you. There are many options out there. Speak with a wedding officiant who will be more than happy to do/say the vows you want him/her to and/or you and your boyfriend write your own ceremony and have someone perform it.
I would look into see if you can do a common law marriage,but that might be the only option. Go make it legal in a courthouse just the two of you.
you can't be common law married IN ohio, but it might recognize it -- at least according to google.





go to a courthouse or do a ceremony your way. I'm not into patriarchy either. you can say whatever you want to say in a ceremony, you don't have to follow anything.
I don't know about in Ohio, but where I live you can be common law married without any type of wedding after living together for more than 6 months. All you have to do is prove you are living together and have been for that period of time. I'm sure there is something like that where you live although the length of time may vary.
First of all thank you. I am a Christian, and have a relationship with Jesus Christ and believe marriage belongs between a man, woman and God. If God isn't the center of marriage, what's the point? HE invented it. But JUST ';marriage'; not the benefits, ceremony, or anything else. I believe there is a civil union you can have or domestic partnership that is very similar.
marriage doesn't have to be all about making the girl the perfect housewife. there is more to it then that and you are being ridiculous for not seeing it
common law is the only alternative sad to say. i live in Ohio and my fiance lives with me and we share car insurance and health insurance. you do not have to be married to share these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment