Saturday, August 21, 2010

If You are Nonreligious, What is the Function of Marriage?

I am, personally, non religious and a great believer in marriage (it just seems the right thing to do).


However, one of my brothers friends (who is 10) parents have just broken up, and they weren't married and he asked me what the point of marriage is. I ummmed and ahhhed about security and commitment but it got me thinking, marriage used to be so people could have sex and have babies without being comsidered sinful. Nowadays, with so many people doing that anyway, what is its function?If You are Nonreligious, What is the Function of Marriage?
To me it is a public promise to one another that this is the person I picked and this is the person I love. It is to become a family. :)If You are Nonreligious, What is the Function of Marriage?
Marriage doesn't only have to be a religious vow.





Marriage is a symbol of love and commitment to one person.





I don't believe in divorce, but that isn't because of religious views either.





I believe that you work on a relationship your entire life. When you vow to marry someone then it is for life, and sometimes that vow needs work and renewal. Divorce, to me, is for those who are too lazy to put in the effort it takes to get past issues.





Our elders had to work at their marriages too, and their issues were very similar if not the same as those encountered today...
The practical benefit is that you get to take advantage of the things that make your life as a couple easier (in regards to taxes, insurance, decision-making, etc.)





The emotional benefit is whatever you consider it to be. Personally, I don't want to live the rest of my life getting asked, ';so, when are you guys going to get married?'; If we're going to stay together, might as well pacify the society and get married.
I am a big believer that marriage'; legally'; is just a way for the lawyers and judges to get money... when you enter into that sort of a commitment the Government looks at it as though 2 BIG companies are MERGING together and forming a new BIGGER /BETTER business together but if something were to go wrong then everything is split down the MIDDLe no matter what


I prefer living with my Fiance wtihout the chance of marriage on my choice


why should i help Liars/ Lawyers and Judges/ Jokes... get money not my fault they chose that career path
Marriage was never about religion. In the past it was about paternity and ownership. Later when women stopped being property it was about security for her as well.





Now it is a legally binding commitment between two people.
It's symbolic of a life-long commitment between two people.
  • lip gloss
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment