Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Does a Muslim woman have the right to oppose marriage?

If her parents have chosen a man to marry, does she have the right to refuse him, due to not being interested in him? Perhaps, so she can have the right to select and chose one for another that is more fitting. Would this be along the terms of being acceptable? And what are proper methods that can be suggested for her to speak to her parents (whom are very traditional), without dishonoring their decision?Does a Muslim woman have the right to oppose marriage?
This is a tough one. It depends which country she is in as to what her legal rights are, but assuming she lives in the US or Canada, yes she has the right to refuse to marry the man of her parents' choice as she is covered by the same laws as everyone else. However, she may find that doing so totally alienates her from her family. I can only suggest that she tells them that she would be unhappy living with this man and that she hopes her happiness is important to them. She needs to be prepared for the fact she may need to distance herself from her family, but if may be worth it to avoid a marriage she doesn't want.Does a Muslim woman have the right to oppose marriage?
Yes, I did. I told my parents flatly that I don't like him. They respected my decision with any further questioning. Some time after that, another guy told me he actually liked me, and I told him to inform my parents...which he did. My parents asked me and I agreed cos' I'm nuts over him.





Well, I don't come from a traditional muslim background. My parents would allowed me to marry anyone I like, unless he's on drugs or something.





But if she comes from a very traditional background, then maybe she can try to talk nicely to her mom or ask her sisters to help her. If her brothers are co-operative to her, they can surely help her more effectively...as traditional muslim families tend to listen better to their sons (although this mindset is not an islamic law). Some co-operative uncles or aunt might help too.





The bottom line: a muslim woman definitely have the right to oppose marriage and with her parents' approval, she can marry anyone she like.
I am in that xact situation right now..... i have had several fights with my parents and left the house for almost 5 days uptill now, i am not saying what i did was right... Just yesterday i went back home and made up with my mother and told her to forgive me for being so nervous but i told her at the same time i am not going to marry someone forcefully because IT is a sin in Islam to force a girl to marry someone she doesn't want.





what makes it more awful for me that i love someone who's not muslim but he's converting these days and i am not sure if my very traditional parents are gonna accept that since he doesn't speak arabic too but he's learning.... :((
Usually, yes. In most countries, Muslim parents will involve their daughter in the process of finding a husband because they want her to be happy.





I should think the best way to talk to her parents would be to be respectful and understanding, just like in any other important conversation.
Does a Muslim woman have the right to oppose marriage?


If her parents have chosen a man to marry, does she have the right to refuse him,





Yes, this is not the Muslim world you are in you are free.
Yes. She can directly speak to her parents with respect and honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment