Saturday, August 21, 2010

How would you seal or preserve chocolate writing ( a marriage proposal!) on a ceramic plate?

My friend proposed to his fiancee at a restaurant and wants to save the chocolate writing '; Will you marry me?'; on the dessert plate it was written on. Any ideas how to seal it so that it won't run or melt?How would you seal or preserve chocolate writing ( a marriage proposal!) on a ceramic plate?
Freezing will not work, the chocolate will eventually discolor or chip off from things moving around. Actually your best bet is to seal the plate with a spray on varnish or shellac.





This will work if they used real chocolate, but if they used a chocolate syrup or thinned the real chocolate with some type of oil there is not a lot you can do.How would you seal or preserve chocolate writing ( a marriage proposal!) on a ceramic plate?
I agree, just re-paint it with dark brown paint and spray a coat of shellac over it. Then on their anniversary they can have cake on a clear plate on top of the painted one, for a nice memory.


.
Of course take photos, just in case.





I agree to freeze it but only to solidify the chocolate. It only takes a few minutes to get the chocolate nice and solid. Once its frozen (and, no, it won't discolor and get weird if you don't leave it in the freezer long-term) immediately vacuum seal it. Store in a cool place and it should be fine for a very long time.
redo it with a chocolate color and glaze it.
Definitely take lots of photos before you try to preserve it..just in case. Here's what I would try. Freeze the plate and chocolate solid (at least over night) then use a spray lacquer over the whole thing. The problem is that you need to go slow and in light, short strokes..but you're going to be dealing with temperature changes and moisture build up as it 'melts'. I have managed to do this with some things..but I've never tried it with chocolate. I will now though!
I don't know how to preserve it--I'll leave that to someone else--but I'd find a pretty piece of cloth, crumple it all photogenically, set or prop the plate on it, and take several photographs of the plate with the proposal ASAP.
I'm sorry, but you're gonna have to freeze it for the rest of eternity, just pray the electricity doese'nt go out...

No comments:

Post a Comment