Saturday, August 21, 2010

Was there non-religious or religious resistance to gay marriage before the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s?

Just curious. My mother of 55 says there was not, but I'm curious what others remember.





Take me for a walk down memory lane..Was there non-religious or religious resistance to gay marriage before the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s?
As far as sexual freedom goes I envy the youth of today.





I grew up in the 60s/70s in Sydney Australia. A little younger than your mum. While in my childhood times sexual tolerance was reasonably common, (I was always open) in the periods before this people very much did not speak about same sex people. That's not to say gays were not around. They just remained reasonable silent. Not many would have let the neighbours know they are only using the main bedroom.





Where as today its not such an issue. For me personally I am proud when I see a couple of guys or girls in love. I am even prouder when I see them in public and other people don't give them a second look.





Well I do take a second look as I say a private thank you on their behalf for the freedom these people have today.Was there non-religious or religious resistance to gay marriage before the AIDS epidemic of the 1980s?
I can't take you on a walk down memory lane, because I am too young for that, but I don't think the issue was really brought up. At that time, the LGBT community was struggling for visibility. I don't think marriage was on the radars of too many people. If the issue had been brought forth, however, I think the opposition would have been even stronger than it is today.
Yes, but mostly resistance to gay folks in general, not marriage. Many other ways to be unfair and hateful to gay people were more common in the past. It was illegal to have sex in the privacy of your own home for example. Marriage equality, and the resistance to it, is a more current issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment